There is something very satisfying about bucking today’s throwaway trend and enjoying luxuries that are built to last. Like anything, if you give your suit a bit of TLC it will pay dividends. A tailored suit is a wise investment and these simple tips can really make a difference to its lifespan.
- Pockets, lapels and collars should be brushed frequently to remove dirt
- Blott stains immediately rather than rubbing them in
- Creased garments recover well in a humid environment. Hang them somewhere damp and warm (such as a bathroom) or spray them lightly with water
- After use, allow your suit to rest. Wearing the same for two days in succession can cause damaged fibres
- To help maintain the shape of your suit always hang your jacket on an appropriate hanger that supports the shoulders. Always hang your trousers vertically
- Avoid placing items in your pockets as this will put strain on the seams
- Unbutton your suit jacket before you sit down to avoid pulling
- Store your suit in a breathable garment bag for protection
- Have your suit dry cleaned at least once a season (but remember excessive dry cleaning can reduce the life of a suit)
Follow these tips and you will look sharp in your suit for years to come. Enjoy!